Android is the world's most popular Linux-based mobile operating system designed for touch screen mobile devices primarily such as smart phones and tablet computers developed by Google in conjunction with the Open Handset Alliance. The Android Open Source Project (AOSP), led by Google releases as open source, under the Apache License.
In the end of year 2010, Android had become the worlds most popular and leading smart phone platform where the first Android-powered smart phone was sold in October 2008.
With Android operating system you can use 600,000+ apps and games available to keep you entertained, thousands of movies, millions of songs and books from Google Play, also all the Google apps you know and love to use on your smart phone or tablets.
Some important information about Android operating system:
- Android is programmed: in C, C++, Java
- OS family: Unix-like, Linux
- Initial release: September 23, 2008
- First stable release: Gingerband
- Latest stable release: 4.1.2 "Jelly Bean" on October 9, 2012
- License: Apache License 2.0 Linux kernel patches under GNU GPL v2
- Supported platforms: ARM, MIPS, x86
- Marketing target: Smartphones, Tablet computers
- Source model: Open source
- Available language(s): Multi-lingual
- Default user interface: Graphical (Multi-touch)
- Package manager: Google Play, APK
- Developer by: Google, Open Handset Alliance, Android Open Source Project.